The year 2014 is almost about to end and all Bollywood movies including the ones to be released in this month have launched their soundtracks. It has been an exceptional year in Bollywood in terms of the music in the movies. Music directors as well as the singers have made sure that music lovers have plenty of good songs to hear and to choose as their favourite ones. Being an avid music lover, I weigh a Bollywood movie’s success by the quality of its songs, and this year, most of the movies I’ve liked had a fantastic soundtrack.
Initially, I planned to list my top 10 favourite Bollywood songs of 2014. However, I realized it’s easier said than done as a few more songs kept telling me to also include them in my list. After all, I have heard them so many times, often on loop. I had to honour their requests! I mostly like romantic tracks, the slow soft ones and occasionally, I listen to party songs and dance numbers.
Since I am not writing a music review, so I’ll skip the elaborate details about the songs. Unfortunately, I can’t embed audio links in my blog. I hope you would not mind about that.
So, I present you my top 20 favourite Bollywood songs of 2014. Tune in and enjoy!
1. Zehnaseeb sung by Chinmayi Sripaada and Shekhar Ravjiani (from the movie Hasee Toh Phasee)
2. Khul Kabhi Toh sung by Arijit Singh (from the movie Haider)
3. Mast Magan sung by Arijit Singh and Chinmayi Sripaada (from the movie 2 States)
4. Dil Ka Mizaaj Ishqiya sung by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan (from Dedh Ishqiya)
5. Mileya Mileya sung by Priya Andrews, Jigar Saraiya and Rekha Bhardwaj (from Happy Ending)
6. Pakeezah sung by Gulraj Singh (from Ungli)
7. Maahi Ve sung by A.R. Rahman (from Highway)
8. Jiya sung by Arijit Singh (from Gunday)
9. Ishq Bulaava sung by Sanam Puri and Shipra Goyal (from Hasee Toh Phasee)
10. Sukoon Mila sung by Arijit Singh (from Mary Kom)
11. Ala Hada sung by Shiraz Uppal (from Lekar Hum Deewana Dil)
12. Galliyan (Unplugged) sung by Shraddha kapoor and Ankit Tiwari (from Ek Villain)
13. Chaandaniya sung by Kanan Mohan and Yashita Sharma (from 2 States)
14. Sajde sung by Arijit Singh and Nihira Joshi Deshpande (from Kill/Dil)
15. Chaar Kadam sung by Shaan and Shreya Ghoshal (from PK)
16. Jaisa Mera Tu sung by Arijit Singh and Priya Saraiya (from Happy Ending)
17. Manwa Laage sung by Arijit Singh and Shreya Ghoshal (from Happy New Year)
18. Meherbaan Hua sung by Ash King and Shilpa Rao (from Bang Bang)
19. Samjhawan sung by Arijit Singh and Shreya Ghoshal (from Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania)
20. Awari sung by Adnan Dhool and Momina Mustehsan (from Ek Villain)
Whoa! That was a heavy list of songs. After all, the singers are some of the heavy-weights of the Indian music industry. Heartening to see veterans like Shaan and Shreya Ghoshal feature among this new breed of singers. And it seems that Arijit Singh rules my playlist. No doubts about that as he is currently the singing sensation of Bollywood and to tell the truth, my favourite male singer. Shreya Ghoshal has always been my favourite female singer. But now, I would also include Chinmayi Sripaada. What a beautiful voice she has, hence her ‘Zehnaseeb‘ occupies the numero uno position in my playlist.